The thinker implicit in the thought, the triggering event inherent in the emotion, the object intrinsic to the act of perception: These are the messages that establish what is real.
Each time something appears, the implicit, the intrinsic, and the inherent are already in operation, confirming that mind is trapped.
But these three carriers of substance can be challenged. In the present moment of experience, here and now is where we must look.
- In this moment, what intrinsic claims are being secretly confirmed?
- Is there a ‘who’ that is reading the message being sent?
- Are actions forming?
- Are judgments being made?
- Is there something to understand?
- Is there something to make sense out of?
Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche
Milking the Painted Cow